Learn how the DIFFERENTIAL works!
- Assemble it and discover the principle of working of the Car Differential.
- Experiment: the model comes with a Pocket Model’s Study Guide with a creation story and mechanism design as well as engaging and interesting tasks.
- Immerse yourself in Augmented Reality (AR), find out how the Counter is used in a production line, and interact with it via the dedicated mobile application.
- Model Size: 6.9 * 5.3 * 4.1 in (17.5 * 13.5 * 10.5 cm)
- Number of components: 163
The Differential is a stylized educational model, an interactive study guide to the mechanism, only for learning its essentials and principles of working. The Differential was designed to ensure that the drive wheels sitting on the same axle rotate with a different rate and cover different distances at the same time. This mechanism allows the car to make turns without the wheels skidding, prevents wheel-slip, reduces tire wear, and makes entering and going out of turns easier for the driver. Having assembled the Differential, you can unblock it pushing the lever in position 1 (Up) and set both wheels in motion by rotation of the drive gear or the wheel. The Control lever regulates the smooth locking of the left and right wheels independently by turning left or right respectively. In the “down” position of the lever, both wheels are linked in a rigid coupling and can either rotate together (propelled by the drive gear or a wheel) or lock simultaneously (by the lever of the wheel).
Differentials are used mainly in cars as a part of the transmission mechanism. They improve the maneuverability and performance of a car.
The mechanism of the Differential is composed of:
- The drive gear
- The locking lever
- The side gear
- The locking clutch
- The wheel
The Differential is developed to serve as a learning tool rather than a puzzle. Putting STEM-lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
- High-quality wooden boards with pre-cut details and other standard supplies. Assembly requires no glue or additional tools. The details come out of the boards with a slight push.
- Detailed step-by-step color instruction manual. Easy to follow – easy to learn.
- Examples and suggestions for your fun hands-on projects.
- QR-code to Pocket Model’s Study Guide (the Differential Essentials with a description of the mechanism, principle of working, main characteristics, definitions, and formulas).
- QR-code to AR Application. New exciting features to make your learning experience even more fascinating!