Learn how the GEARBOX works!
- Assemble it and discover the principle of working of the 4-speed Manual Gearbox.
- Experiment: the model comes with a Pocket Model’s Study Guide with a creation story and mechanism design as well as engaging and interesting tasks.
- Immerse yourself in Augmented Reality (AR), find out how the Gearbox is used in a car, and interact with it via the dedicated AR-application.
- Model Size: 5.1 * 3.9 * 4.3 in (13 * 10 * 11 cm)
- Number of components: 120
The Gearbox is a stylized educational model, an interactive study guide to the mechanism, only for learning its essentials and principles of working. A mechanical gearbox is a reducer that provides speed and torque conversions from a motor to the driving wheels. After assembly, you can experiment with the manual Gearbox, by turns, choose I, II, III, or reverse with a kinematic pair of gears with different ratios and, rotating the actuator handle clock-wise, you can watch and control the rotation speed of the layshaft and driveshaft.
In a Position “N” – idle in which both clutch gears of layshaft remain uncoupled and idling; the First Gear makes the layshaft and gears rotate with the lowest speed; the Second Gear lets the drive shaft along with the flywheel rotate with average speed and the Third Gear allows the layshaft and all gears rotate with the highest speed. Switch on the Reverse gear and see how the driving clutch gear moves to the left towards gear “R” and connects to it transferring the rotation to the lower gear arrangement and propelling the layshaft and all gears to rotate in reverse.
A gearbox is mainly used in the automobile industry as a part of the car transmission mechanism that transfers torque from the engine's shaft to the wheels.
The mechanism of the Gearbox is composed of:
- Gear shifting lever
- Layshaft with gear couplings
- Reverse idle gear bearing
- Actuator handle
The Gearbox is developed to serve as a learning tool rather than a puzzle. Putting STEM-lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
- High-quality wooden boards with pre-cut details and other standard supplies. Assembly requires no glue or additional tools. The details come out of the boards with a slight push.
- Detailed step-by-step color instruction manual. Easy to follow – easy to learn.
- Examples and suggestions for your fun hands-on projects.
- QR-code to Pocket Model’s Study Guide (the Gearbox Essentials with a description of the mechanism, principle of working, main characteristics, definitions, and formulas).
- QR-code to AR Application. New exciting features to make your learning experience even more fascinating!
1) Can I paint/stain the model?
Yes, the model kits can be painted, varnished and/or stained.
2) What is the recommended age?
The recommended age for our model kits is 14+.
3) What happens if I break or lose a piece while assembling?
We offer FREE parts replacements on our kits. We even cover the shipping!
4) Do I need glue during assembly?*
A majority of our kits do not require glue for assembly.
5) Where do the kits ship from?
All of our models are shipped from the U.S.A.